Developing Your Skills
ResearchAlign with the client’s aims, and conduct research that will challenge existing practices
AnalysisDelve into your findings to raise new ideas, debunk old ones, and apply what you uncover.
PlanningOperate as part of a formal organisation to meet deadlines and produce work beyond student quality
DeliveryWork as a unified team to deliver a report that goes over and above client expectations:
LeadershipTake ownership of the project, working alongside high calibre students with freedom and responsibility
ProfessionalismCommunicate as a professional, connecting regularly with clients, mentors and industry professionals.
“You’ve achieved as much as I’d expect from a professional team – and I used to work in management consulting” - Client, Joseph Trust Project
Support and Guidance
100% of our successful applicants agreed the interviewers were friendly and approachable
100% also felt YCC staff upheld Best Practice guidelines across the course of the project - 2015/16 T2 Feedback
We want......to bring the best out of people by being friendly and approachable.
We recognise......and value motivation and enthusiasm, just as much as prior experience.
We provide......feedback where unsuccessful and highly encourage re-application
You begin equipped with our ‘Consultant Bible’ containing the tips and tricks we’ve picked up over the the years.
We provide a comprehensive introduction allowing you to start developing bonds with your time and how to begin going about your project.
Project Management and Group Facilitations provided by our committee and tailored to the needs of YCC.
Each team is provided with a Strategy Partner to assist every step of the way. On top this we have members of committee working on Marketing, Tech, HR that are always on hand for support.
A professional working in consultancy with interests aligned with the project dedicated to your team. Weekly or bi-weekly meetings will be hosted to help enhance ideas, structure your approach and provide critical feedback.
Gaining experience in the consultancy sector is incredibly hard to achieve, YCC gives you that edge
100% of our members agreed YCC had enhanced their employability (66% strongly agreed)
100% also felt YCC better prepared them for post-University employment - 2015/16 T2 Feedback
Corporate Skills Sessions
Working with top tier firms to put on exclusive talks, workshops and skill sessions to:
- Build your consultant toolkit:
- Structuring your project approach
- Problem solving frameworks
- What life is like as a consultant
- Preparing for the future:
- Interviews; case studies and market sizing problems
- Which division to apply for
- Form bonds with fellow students, clients, York alumni, and external mentors from major firms
- Numerous social opportunities throughout the term
- Alumni group and events, be a part of a support network for years to come
See where YCC involvement has taken other University of York students:
Our Culture and Practices
Giving Real Responsibility
We provide the chance to work on real projects, for real clients, with real results
Gain the confidence to make clear, direct recommendations, and state your findings with credibility
Diversity is our mission, pride and strength
We encourage applications and involvement from across the University:
- Our 2015/16 Term 2 teams featured PhD, Masters and Undergraduate students from first to third years.
- The courses studied ranged from International Relations to Biology, Economics to Criminology, History to Computer Science, and various others.
We equally encourage participation from across the student society:
- Of our 2015/16 Term 2 members, 55% were male and 45% female
- Of our 2015/16 Term 2 members, around 40% were non-white
- 80% of consultants and senior consultants reported YCC was a diverse organisation