Develop Your Skills
ResearchAlign with the client’s aims, and conduct research that will challenge existing practices.
AnalysisDelve into your findings to raise new ideas, debunk old ones, and apply what you uncover.
PlanningOperate as part of a formal organisation. Meet deadlines and produce industry standard work.
DeliveryWork as a unified team to deliver a report that goes over and above client expectations.
LeadershipTake ownership of the project, working alongside high calibre students with freedom and responsibility.
ProfessionalismCommunicate as a professional, connecting regularly with clients, mentors and industry professionals.
“YCC has achieved as much as I’d expect from a professional team – and I used to work in management consulting.” - Client, Joseph Trust Project
Support and Guidance
100% of our successful applicants agreed the interviewers were friendly and approachable
100% also felt YCC staff upheld Best Practice guidelines across the course of the project - 2015/16 T2 Feedback
We want......to bring the best out of people by being friendly and approachable.
We recognise......and value motivation and enthusiasm, just as much as prior experience.
We provide......feedback where unsuccessful and highly encourage re-application
We provide a comprehensive introduction. Allowing you to start developing bonds with your team and how to begin going about your project.
Weekly Project Management and Group Facilitations provided by our committee and tailored to the needs of YCC.
Each team is provided with a Strategy Partner to assist every step of the way. Plus we have members of the committee working on Marketing, Tech and HR. They are always on hand for support.
A professional working in consultancy with interests aligned with your project. Each project team will have a dedicated mentor. Weekly meetings will be organised to provide critical feedback. That way you can enhance your ideas and structure your approach.
Improve Your Employability
Gaining industry experience in business management consultancy is hard to achieve. YCC gives you that edge.
100% of our members agreed YCC had enhanced their employability (66% strongly agreed)
100% also felt YCC better prepared them for post-University employment - 2015/16 T2 Feedback
Corporate Skills Sessions
Working with top tier firms to put on exclusive talks, workshops and skill sessions to:
- Build your consultant toolkit:
- Structuring your project approach
- Problem solving frameworks
- What life is like as a consultant
- Preparing for the future:
- Interviews; case studies and market sizing problems
- Which division to apply for
- Form bonds with fellow students, clients, York alumni, and external mentors from major firms
- Numerous social opportunities throughout the term
- Alumni group and events, be a part of a support network for years to come
See where YCC involvement has taken other University of York students:
Our Culture and Practices
Giving Real Responsibility
We provide the chance to work on real projects, for real clients, with real results.
Gain the confidence to make clear, direct recommendations. Then, state your findings with credibility.
Diversity is our mission, pride and strength.
We encourage applications and involvement from across the University:
- Our 2018/19 Term 2 teams featured PhD, Masters and Undergraduate students from first to third years.
- The courses studied by our personnel vary. We have students from Biology, Economics to Criminology. History to Computer Science, and various others.
We equally encourage participation from across the student body:
- Of our 2017/18 personnel, 55% were male and 45% female
- Of our 2018/19 Term 2 members, over 35% were non-white
- 80% of consultants reported YCC was a diverse organisation