The aim is to soft launch the project in the new year with the main launch coming the following september (freshers week 2019). If the initial launch in Newcastle is a success then the aim is to role it out across the country.
SeshBeans is a new technology startup with the mission statement of making the process of planning nights out more fun, convenient and safe for students. The site/app will act as a personalised planner, information directory and a social media platform. This company is based in newcastle and was co-founded by two students studying at Newcastle and Northumbria University. They realised that there was a gap in the market for such a service and so began developing their idea. Currently, the project is still in development stage with the website and corresponding phone application being designed and coded. Their initial plan is to launch it first in the Newcastle area which has a student population in excess of 55,000. They have the backing of one of the largest events companies in the country and are in the process of being endorsed by the university of Newcastle. Their aim is to soft launch the project in the new year with the main launch coming the following september (freshers week 2019). If the initial launch in Newcastle is a success then the aim is to role it out across the country.
The goal of this project to produce a business strategy for the company going forward. You will be tasked with identifying the necessary steps to ensure this leads to a successful operation. This will entail a range of activities such as: evaluating revenue streams, conducting primary and secondary research to recommend features/content and to produce a marketing strategy going forward. The goal of this project is help make this start-up a success and revolutionise the way students experience their night out. With the ultimate aim of making the whole experience more convenient and safe.
- Identify potentials for revenue generation
- Establish what will be the main sources of income for the business (Direct sales, ads, additional services)
- Research how each revenue source will scale with size
- What will be the costs associated with generating revenue?
- Produce a short-term budget for the operation
- Developing a plan of action for its launch:
- Advise what method of marketing and what platforms will provide the greatest outreach
- What type of content?, How frequently?, What times of day?
- Which organisations are more successful and why? - What are their strategies and what are they doing which differentiates them
- Evaluating and advising on improvements to the website/app before its full launch:
- Comparing and contrasting the website/app against good examples
- Evaluating whether each part of the site is fit for purpose and that it is standardised across the platform (does it reflect the company's aims/goals?
- Understanding whether the navigation of the site is effective
- Identifying and developing key communication channels to potential users, partners and sponsors:
- Clearly define the demographics for users, partners and sponsors
- What channels do other, similar, organisations utilise to reach their target demographics
- Devise a systematic strategy for targeting potential users
- What are the company's key selling points and how can they take advantage of these?
- Researching the costs and resources required to implement short and long-term marketing recommendations:
- Quantify each of our recommendations. What will the relative impact of implementing each recommendation compared to its cost.
- Conducting a cost-benefit analysis of each recommendation to rank them in order of effectiveness. What will the sunk costs be?
- Provide a timescale for each of our recommendations
Typically, we appoint 3-5 Consultants and 1 Project Manager per project.
Consultant (no previous experience required):
- attend weekly training sessions and a weekly team meeting
- attending mentor calls
- execute assigned tasks (research, survey creating, data analysis etc.)
- helping the Project Manager to set the direction of the project
- committing to personal development
- main deliverables: Statement of Work, Final Presentation
Project Manager (no previous experience required):
- taking on the responsibility of leading the project team
- delegating tasks and helping out with any necessary tasks
- organising meetings and keeping track of project deadlines
- leading the creation and delivery of deliverables (Statement of Work, Final Presentation)
- organising (with the help of the External Relations Officer) and attending mentor calls
- looking after Consultant personal development
- attending meetings with their Strategy Partner(s)
Connect with us
Do you have any questions or comments regarding our projects or anything YCC? Getting in touch with us is very simple! You can reach out to us on any of our social media channels:
Subscribe to our email newsletter and receive news updates regarding YCC, as well as exclusive opportunities from our partner organisations.
York Community Consulting (YCC)
YCC is the University of York’s very own student-led pro-bono consultancy organisation. The two primary aims of the organisation is:
- To provide students with the opportunity to develop themselves, both personally and professionally, widen their expertise, and improve their future employability.
- To create a positive social impact in both the local and wider community by providing targeted analysis and intuitive solutions to, but not exclusively, charities, student start-ups and local government.
Former Project Manager
"Not only did I oversee the delivery of a pan-European penetration and scalability strategy, I did so alongside some of the brightest students I've ever met- it really is a fantastic opportunity."