To assess the feasibility of York Sport (UoY) working in isolation or in partnership with potential partner organisations with potential benefit to the UoY and a bid for funding from British Cycling’s ‘Places to Ride’ scheme.
To determine the viability of York Sport bidding independently, or working in partnership to gain funding from British Cycling’s ‘Places to Ride’ scheme. York Community Consulting will explore the existing demand and delivery of cycling in York, potential partners offering value and assessing potential demand to justify a feasible business case justifying potentials bids, footfall and for potential facility development to meet such demand.
- Explore the option of delivering cycling as York Sport and seek funding independently
- Work with Keith Morris to understand the strengths and weaknesses of York Sport’s current operations
- Analyse York Sport’s previous funding agreements
- Review the ‘Places to Ride’ application requirements
- Understand the condition and usage of cycling facilities available
- Assess the advantages and risks an independent bid could have on their funding application
2. Explore the advantages and disadvantages of bidding in partnership.
- Identify potential partners best suited to add value to York sport cycling/UoY
- Conduct research into each potential partners identified and their current standing in York’s cycling scene and potential benefits of each.
- Determine the increase in engagement a partnership could have
- Liaise with York Sport and partners identified to determine any improvements/new facilities required and to be included in the bidding application
- Identify the likely cost and profitability of the proposed initiatives and facilities
(potential partners to be added somewhere in the brief or to these on the project are Get into Cyclin, Get Into Cycling, Clifton Cycle club, LTA and any others)
3. Explore the benefits, types and risks of various partnership agreements with partners identified.
- Determine whether partnering will dilute their objectives as a cycling provider
- Review position of stakeholders
- Assess potential conflicts of interests between a partnership
- Carry out a risk assessment of potential business development required to justify a funding bid
Typically, we appoint 3-5 Consultants and 1 Project Manager per project.
Consultant (no previous experience required):
- attend weekly training sessions and a weekly team meeting
- attending mentor calls
- execute assigned tasks (research, survey creating, data analysis etc.)
- helping the Project Manager to set the direction of the project
- committing to personal development
- main deliverables: Statement of Work, Final Presentation
Project Manager (no previous experience required):
- taking on the responsibility of leading the project team
- delegating tasks and helping out with any necessary tasks
- organising meetings and keeping track of project deadlines
- leading the creation and delivery of deliverables (Statement of Work, Final Presentation)
- organising (with the help of the External Relations Officer) and attending mentor calls
- looking after Consultant personal development
- attending meetings with their Strategy Partner(s)
Connect with us
Do you have any questions or comments regarding our projects or anything YCC? Getting in touch with us is very simple! You can reach out to us on any of our social media channels:
Subscribe to our email newsletter and receive news updates regarding YCC, as well as exclusive opportunities from our partner organisations.
York Community Consulting (YCC)
YCC is the University of York’s very own student-led pro-bono consultancy organisation. The two primary aims of the organisation is:
- To provide students with the opportunity to develop themselves, both personally and professionally, widen their expertise, and improve their future employability.
- To create a positive social impact in both the local and wider community by providing targeted analysis and intuitive solutions to, but not exclusively, charities, student start-ups and local government.
Former Project Manager
"Not only did I oversee the delivery of a pan-European penetration and scalability strategy, I did so alongside some of the brightest students I've ever met- it really is a fantastic opportunity."